Wednesday 6 July 2011

Love You Forever

What's your favourite childhood book?



Mine is Love You Forever by Robert Munsch, a Canadian author. I remember being as young as four or five years old and my mother reading it to me before I went to sleep. My mom used to always cry a bit before she finished it. The book starts out with a young mother rocking her baby to sleep and singing "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be".



The mother sings the song to her son when he is asleep at each stage of his life, as he grows from a brand new infant, to a toddler experiencing terrible-twos, and then to a raucous teenager. Near the end, the son is an adult and he has moved into his own house. At night, the mother drives across town to to her son's house, picks him up as he is sleeping, and sings him the song. Finally, the mother becomes older and sicker and the son realizes that it's his turn to rock his mother and sing to her. The last page, the son is singing to his own brand-new baby.



The picture of the son singing to his mother always makes me a little teary. I admit it, now that I've moved out on my own and miss my mom, I read it sometimes. I'd love to read it to my own children someday.

What books did you love as a child?

1 comment:

  1. It reminded me of joey reading it in emma's birthday in friends!!

    ReplyDelete